Friday, December 9, 2011

12 Beers of Christmas

Duchesse de Bourgogne

Following the lead of a few other fellow blog-smiths, I figured I would jump on the 12 beers of Christmas bandwagon….




borrowed picture from the internet...too dark to get a decent pic at CAH
 Up first (#12), I’ll showcase one of the very provocative brews I had last night at Capital Ale House.



This is THE most interesting beer I’ve ever had, and not for the faint of heart. A Flemish “red-ale” (lambic) that is a blend of several vintages of its itself, the oldest being 18months. Aged in ancient oak casks, the ale takes on a very fruity and astringent sour flavor. I’m not as food oriented as others, but ended up pairing this ale with a Belgian pretzel appetizer between my tablemates. ABV is around 6%, so not crazy strong, but this is definitely a sipper due to the almost wine like character.



If you ever wanted to try a truly unique Sour Ale, this one should be on your short list.

No comments: