Saturday, August 15, 2009

back in the GWNF...

Been awhile since I got to ride back in the mountains, so I took off a day of PTO so I could hang w/ the boys (JDG, Metro, Rockhopper Jared) for a ride in the George Washington National Forest. The plan was to start at Braley Pond and forge a loop out of the many forest roads and Epic singletrack in the area....

was gonna ride the singlespeed Salsa but time caught up to me the night before and left w/o the chance to gear down for mtn climbing...alas, I took the redline d460 1x8 (which later would be clanging along w/a wounded Reba fork....

The day started off wet and dreary, but soon the clouds cleared, and the sun heated up the mountain air. Went north from Braley Pond to the Shenandoah Mtn Trail where we discovered the mid-atlantic's most dense growth of stinging nettles...


....then up Georgia Camp trail into what seemed to be Middle earth complete with a lush green moss undercover and jungle like canopy - as the sun peered thru and the trail became steep, I engaged in some discussion w/ Jared to keep my mind off the climb....forgot to take pictures :(


<----Metro on his fixed Monocog
....back down another fireroad which I forgot the name of, then attempted to climb Tr 211 which turned out to be extremely impassable, so we abandoned it and made our way out the back side to Rt 715? to 250 for a road ride back to Braley Pond......







No comments: