Thursday, June 23, 2011

Watson Cycles Ti handlebar

Been riding this new bar made by Andrew (Watson Cycles) for several months now. I asked Andrew to make them to a “custom” bend of 35 deg sweep, no rise, and 680mm width.
The bar has a slight forward sweep to add back some reach and are made of titanium (only bars I like anymore). The Ti really gives a great dampening quality to the front end. Because of my arthritis, I need to have a handlebar that eliminates that high-frequency chatter.
I’ve had multiple suspension forks over the years, but the Ti handlebar (with big sweep) makes the biggest difference in comfort for me. A suspension fork does a great job for control over rough and fast terrain, but with some conditioning, I’ve learned to ride nearly as fast on an all rigid setup.




If you’re in the market for a titanium handlebar, give Andrew a call or email. He has a few “stock” bar designs and will also bend you up something if you want.  Watson Cycles also makes custom frames, including a really cool monster fat tire expedition bike that showed at Nahbs in Austin.

No comments: