Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sherando/Big Levels rematch

Last Sunday was Father's day, and since I'm a father, I decided to take some time to myself and head to the mountains for a solo mind-clearing Sherando chunk ride.


Started from Coal Rd and into Mill Creek for some instant trail satisfaction. The brush had grown in significantly since the last time I was here only a month ago, but the trails were still very passable compared to other mountain trails, now completely enveloped by "stinging nettles".
After multiple refreshing creek crossings, and rockcrawling up Mill Creek, I made my way up the infamous switchbacks. The trail goes crazy up, and more than my 1-gear machine and me could handle, so I pushed the bike up the remainder of the climb.
view from the top
(snack time and checked my messages - cell phone coverage up here?!)


I love this bike. The Black Cat just keeps getting better.
Pass the bus....Ran into Jay, Lisa and Ray on their way to the top from the Jeep Rd. The heat had taken its toll on them as well...gave Ray some iodine tabs for replenishing some water in the Camelback.
then, I continued to the Jeep Rd for the descent.
Never ridden down the Jeep Rd, but it was pretty fun....not as blistering downhill as taking Mill Creek down, but more fun IMO.
About halfway down, I came across a mother black bear and cub, already in retreat. I tried to snag a picture, but they were out of sight before I could point and shoot.
A hot day, left me with no water to spare, but about 20 or so miles of sweet rocky mountain riding.

No comments: