Saturday, May 8, 2010

Sherando and evil trees










Been awhile since I had a chance to ride over at Sherando/GWNF....so when John set the date, I was in. Too bad my legs didn't make the appointment. Although I made 97% of the climbs on the 32x20 SS, I was toasted, cramping, and flat-ing (once). But other than that, the ride was great. Weather was great, company was great, trail was great, etc...

Jeep Road was more sandy and loose than the last time I was here.












Jigem Ted made quick work of the intial climb. I tried to keep him in sight but towards the top he made off like a bandit while I had it in rock-climbing crawl mode while me and John crossed each others paths on the way up.













Made it over to Torrey Ridge which was good and gnar.
Each one of us was thrown down by trees this ride. On the descent of Torrey, a 3inch sapling had made itself into a "clothesline" across the trail. Tried to stop but only in time to get wrapped up in it and about slid down the drop. A quick few passes with the foldable saw and it was gone.
purty:











Then down to the Blue Ridge cut thru, but miscalculated the turn and continued down despite a guardian angel's attempt to steer us on the right path. We blew off the old man and trusted the GPS instead...to hell with you old man we yelled as we screamed down to Sherando campground. Ok, so we didn't yell at the nice old couple.
After a brief stop to evaluate our agenda, Jigem Ted climbed atop his Niner Air 9 only to be knocked back down by a full grown oak tree which reached out and tackled him. Brushed it off and continued our trek.
Saw Sherando campground and a deer.
Made it back to pavement for a spin back up to the trucks where we climbed back up a few miles of Mill Creek so we could finish on some dirt.
Suddenly Ted and I hear a rustle behind us and find that another evil tree had grabbed John's barend in an attempt to capture another mountain biker.








Good day nonetheless. I'm bringing gears next time though.
35 miles total I think?

No comments: